A Wyoming hemp company is suing the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and police in southern California for allegedly destroying more than $3 million worth of hemp they mistook for marijuana.

Agro Dynamics LLC says in a lawsuit filed in San Diego that local and federal officers raided the company’s facilities in September 2019 after an aerial inspection showed what they believed to be a marijuana field. Officers didn’t bother checking to see if the area was a registered hemp grow, Agro Dynamics argues.

“Upon (police) arrival on the premises, a tenant in possession advised the officers that there was a legal registration issuance from the County of San Diego for the hemp growing on the premises. Law enforcement disregarded this information and continued to seize and destroy all plants that appeared to be marijuana,” the lawsuit alleges.

Law 360 first reported the case.

The plants police destroyed were below the legal limit of 0.3% THC, according to court documents.

In all, police destroyed 3,000 pounds of hemp worth about $3.45 million, the lawsuit says. Agro Dynamics is based in Sheridan, Wyoming, and seeks unspecified damages.

65 comments on “DEA, California police sued after allegedly destroying Wyoming company’s hemp after mistaking it for marijuana
    • Dr. K on

Agreed. Still trying to get our last season crop sold, those actually buying biomass are buying at $0.75 a lb tops. Wish DEA could seize our crop so we could sue them for millions too!

• Woody Peard on

I would assume the value of the plants was placed on them at maturity value and that they hadn’t reached that stage when they were destroyed.

• Darcy TOLLE on

OMG, do you not get the fact that they destroyed their business and opportunities to sell the hemp to people like us who need it for pain and seizures.

• Brett on

As a hemp and cbd business owner who currently works on a team which hand inspects every single flower flower that we package or extract, I can tell you this is not ridiculous. The sheer amount of labor compared to other industries is absurd. A 5 pack of thc prerolls would be $50, easily. If you want clean, accurately labeled products it takes a shit ton of work on the production and quality control end. If you want $1 per joint you will smoke dirt, pesticides and heavy metals. Enjoy!

• Pancho Villa on

Maybe they’re adding the cost of growing it and maintaining it…etc, it can be exaggerated greatly though since it seems excessive..

• Aj RED on

Because dumbass, it’s cannabis, it’s extracted from its flower form turned into concentrate or product, then marketing price. Duh!?! ? ?????? “making it valuable?” ????????????

• Roger Mayo on

Greek word for canvas is cannabis
        They make rope,sails and other products from it. In sailing ship days it took 80 acres of hemp to fit out a ship
        Also it’s been called home grown. Because during the revolution war Washington had everyone make clothes from it. That’s wear the phrase home grown came from. It stopped the sale of British cloth

• Mike Whalen on

Dumbass? Cops lie so the victims lie back, the most it’s worth is $600/ lb wholesale for top shelf, indoor-grown smokable Hemp…
        Wow, I sure feel bigger, taller and smarter than You by calling You, a total stranger, “Dumbass”! I can see why You do it, it compensates for How stupid and unknowing You truly are…Dumbass!

• Bobby H. on

The media always massively inflates the prices when it comes to any form of drugs. The larger the amount, better the story. You’ll see them report a cocaine bust with a reported “street value” worth $8.7 million when in reality its not even 1/10th of that.

Idk. They lie I guess.

• Jenifer on

You are probably right because when the DEA counts any Marijuana plant they automatically list it as providing 2.2 kilos of product no matter the type or size of Marijuana plant is. This is how you get these high numbers. I have planted a few indoor pot plant in my time ( auto-femized) and I did really well with 2 oz. But the DEA came busting in they would count it as being almost 5 pounds even though those types of Marijuana would never grow that much. They grow for 3 month and after budding they die. Of course it makes the charges much worse. It is totally absurd also and totally unfair. I do not know why they go after Marijuana anyway since all it does is relax you like you have had a alcoholic drink. The difference is you fall asleep and you do not pass out but fall asleep. You can easily tell that you are not fit to drive also when you take a certain amount. With alcohol you black out, drive, kill someone and wake up in a jail cell with no clue what happened. However the problem is the danger of these drugs on teens because they react much more then adults due to there brains still growing.

• Dave on

Ita the damages for loss of revenue and customers after orders were cancelled i would imagine also if it was to be made into cbd it could be worth that much if grown organically

• Bill on

There probably not looking at it as lbs/$ there probably thinking about the finished products the hemp would have made. ? Not sure just a guess lol it is a good question!

• Drussooo on

The hemp itself isn’t worth that much. But add everything together & it’s worth millions. For instance think of all the employees that need to be paid, from people working on the fields to extracting cbd or making clothing out of the hemp. The dea just took jobs from thousands of Americans by doing this. Hemp has always been legal it’s not weed.

• Ryne J Mason on

You can’t destroy someones business and get away with it. Police had no business going to these people. With the amount of money spent on police and police technology it’s inexcusable for them to make this type of error. The ppl sueing deserve every penny from their cost to grow it get it ready for sale the ppl they employ to do it wear and tear on their equipment and land soil all the products used and what the product would have generated in sales money all of that is being sued for and should be plus damage to their reputation as a company falling short on promises to supply and pain and suffering for invading these ppl and embarrassing them on a national news scale.

1. Kristopher Kmecheck on

Aggressive DEA and local Police departments that don’t obay the law should be striped of there Applied Immunity and be forced to pay damages out of there personal pockets.

• Jenifer on

Well you should learn by know not everyone get a good education in this country. Also I don’t know how many time spell check changes things and if you do not take the time to reread you post half the time will not even make sense. Basically when there so many thing in life that are real issues so I find it sort of petty to be whining over a few misspelled words or grammer mistakes.

2. Mj on

I like how it started they were informed of the legality of the grow operation, but the bullies with badges completely disregarded it.

3. Mike on

I like how it stated they were informed of the legality of the grow operation, but the bullies with badges completely disregarded it.

4. Lewis G Brooks on

Testing equipment is needed to screen hemp and marijuana crops so this will not happen in the future. Both plants have myriad uses, hemp has much potential as does marijuana (marijuana has a lot of great medical uses) so let’s stop the stigma and get the most we can out of both . . . Lewis Brooks,Asheboro,NC

5. Steev on

Hmmm, thats plus damages also. They have attorneys that need to collect their fees also . Im sure they have added a few extra $ to help in the mental distress of the CEO too.

6. April on

Another case showing how authorities just use there position to do whatever they want. In all cases there is no detective work done or confirmation of thier accusations. What is this world coming to? Stand up for your rights people.

7. April on

Another case showing how authorities just use there position to do whatever they want. In all cases there is no detective work done or confirmation of thier accusations. Know your rights and stand up for them!

• Henry s on

I think they needed to be sued and get em for trespassing they thank they can do what they want to anytime they they think they can sue the hell out of them most I seen crowed in Surry County NC abought 10 acres it’s amazing Surry county popo’s haven’t try to bust this cannabis crop keep growing doing a fine job helps my aching Bones

8. Dierdre F Hiller on

The illegal and wrongful Sin against the well being of Humanity is similar to wrongdoings in life I have experienced. God doesn’t love Unholy people who Rape others.

9. Mary on

Have you priced a pair of hand made natural hemp sandals, lately? Or a skein of hand spun organic Jute? Or a 200yd × 1/2″ roll of natural (not man made poly synthetic material) rope? Price a 100% Cashmere sweater made by hand or a pure 100% silk tie or home grown, hand spun, loom woven, wool coat from the sheep you raised yourself. Well the cost of quality is the price you pay.

10. Steven Oneill on

I’m finding out now that my high school pot dealer was actually a hemp dealer because the bag of seeds and stems probably would have equated to 0.3%, if not less but that was all we could afford to get and ohhh the questionable sh*t we would have to go thru to get that bottom of the barrel stuff.(I grew up in pa, recently moved to cali) even when the stuff got better the amount of BS you had to put up with getting/transporting it did not whereas yesterday I walked up to a window and a person who was paid over minimum wage (I should definitely hope) helped me select an oil and a pack of pre-rolled joints that I went home and enjoyed as responsibly as that weed store was running it’s business. These kids (as in young people, not 8 year olds (I should definitely hope) these days don’t know how good they got it.. Fortunately we do, all joking aside, knowing life without technology vs. life with technology. I remember buying cassette tapes, disposable cameras, and getting my first gps on Christmas and now all that plus so much more is readily available in a comparatively small rectangle I personally keep in a pants pocket. With the ease of access and information this day in age just don’t forget or take for granted the fact that while it may literally never seem like it, we are all living the life of royalty! (I.e. smartphones alleviate the need for what would have been a staff of A LOT of people way back when to do the things your phone does now like turn down the lights, play you a song, turn the heat up, turn the oven off, turn the fireplace on, draw a bath (at whatever temp you darn well plz), lock the doors, check the perimeter (security cameras), etc, etc, etc…

(I realized this was a senseless post to write after finishing it but now that Ive expended the time and hopefully made someone laugh/say ‘hell yeah the life of royalty’, I never thought of it that way but I now I’m having epiphanies all over the place’

To which I say ‘thank you all and have a good night!’

• Jenifer on

Well as a kid growing up in the 60’s and 70’s I was all over the neighborhood playing hear or there. If it was today my mother would have been arrested for neglect or something. Kids do not have that freedom anymore. Crap when I was in FL one kid was 12 and her mother would not her go out of her site even though we lived in a very low crime area and a gated with security. Kids just don’t have the freedom and they unfortunately do not have the space to learn about lot of thing other then a darn cell phone or computer. When I moved to a new area in the past I never had problems learning to get hear or there. Well this move it took me longer and I know my mind was not going. But the difference was that I was depending on GPS so I was not paying the same attention from what I did in the past. For example looking for permanent structures to help you learn that is where you turn etc. Some kids do not even know how to read a map. So they are not getting the practical skills I did when I was growing. Today Kids have a lot of stress that they did not have in the past. Parents doing everything for there kids instead letting them learn is not good either. I remember seeing this young women with a toddler and she was having a fit on keeping the kids shoes laces from coming undone. So I taught her how to double tie her child shoes. No one bother to teach her that because she her parent alway had her in velcro shoes. Folks it is right of passage to teach your 4 and 5 year old how to tie there own shoes. I remember how proud I was the first time. 🙂 Sort of like the first time Dad teach a son how to do his tie. They are all memories.

11. Kimberly wilkinson on

The pigs nor the dea care about anything that a person has to say . I wonder why was there pigs on a hemp farm because hemp is not there way of living it’s in a pig pin or at a donut shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jason L Labrum on

Stand up for your rights they will soon be gone and we will be hurded by the government like sheep with no food. Slowly our rights are taken so we can adjust but little do we know this is the new norme

• California nightmare on

Go sell crazy someplace else… we are all stocked up here.

That said, those freaking tyrants and their little blue suits want us to back them when they don’t even know what’s going on in the world

• Joe on

God is Love but don’t forget God is wrath! He wants a Holy People in the end. If we don’t confess sins, forsake sins, and trust in Jesus to keep us from continuing in Sin, then the wrath of God will be upon us. We must be Born Again and living a Life of Holiness. These are all requirements without any shadow of a Doubt.

13. Jennifer Dietz on

Love your response! Cracked me up. So sad that it is also accurate.

What I haven’t seen mentioned is the additional damage that was likely done to the site. The folks that carry out these raids aren’t known for their kind and gentle treatment of property.

14. Shemiah Scranton on

Well they definitely have a case. Police should know not to go off of assumptions if not they need more common sense …. but thats something that should be taught in the police academy. Assuming can make you look like an ass in the end perfect example…. Go off FACTS IT WOULD BE LESS COMPLEXED AND MORE SIMPLISTIC.

15. B on

As the owner of a high quality, trustworthy CBD company who knows how much work goes into clean product, I can’t believe the amount of people in here complaining about the price of CBD. Those same people are probably more than happy to spend $10 on a carcinogec meal from a fast food joint. A SINGLE MEAL. But won’t pay half of that for two weeks worth of something that improves stress, pain relief, cognitive function, immune health, the list goes on. It’s just a reminder that our society is so backwards in its values and priorities.

16. Jenifer on

Well if you think this is bad on cop in GA took a class how to spot people on Marijuana. Well basically every poor person in a old car he would stop and if they had bloodshot eyes he arrested them. The judge would place high bail and some of these people sat for month waiting for the state testing only to find out that 98% of thenpeople he arrested were clean. Meanwhile these people now have a arrest on there record, lost there jobs and some lost there homes. Meanwhile the cop is still on patrol.