Florida gets DEA clearance to grow hemp in 2019

Florida agriculture officials have completed preparations to grow hemp in the Sunshine State and say they’re ready to plant seeds in 2019.

According to Growing Produce, a trade publication for specialty-crop growers, that’s far sooner than originally expected.

Florida legalized hemp production in 2017, but officials warned it could take several years to find a cultivar that could grow under the 0.3% THC limit in Florida’s tropical and subtropical climate.

But the initial work at the University of Florida has wrapped up, and three cities have been identified for hemp cultivation in 2019:

• Quincy (panhandle area).
  • Hague (north-central Florida).
  • Homestead (south Florida).

University agronomist Zachary Brym told Growing Produce that the school received DEA clearance to import live hemp seeds.

There is no timetable for private commercial hemp production to begin, but Brym said research is just around the corner.

“We will be importing seeds ASAP and plan to put plants in the ground during spring 2019,” he said.

23 comments on “Florida gets DEA clearance to grow hemp in 2019
    • PeaceLoveHemp on

I think they mean into the state. There are, already, plenty of US Domestic seeds, with amazing genetics. I can’t imagine importing them internationally, unless they have no clue what they’re doing.

1. Robert Clayton on

Florida is sub-tropical. US is not. THC will rise half a percent bringing plants this far south. You have to use plants from your latitude. Orlando is the same latitude as Western Sahara. Lexington, KY is the same latitude as Lisbon, Portugal.

2. Greg G. on

I just want to know, since I am able to legally purchase as tons of this cbd cannabis online, and legally purchase these buds in stores in Jacksonville, and President Trump legalized industrial hemp in the farm bill, can I as a Florida citizen legally grow a pound or two and sale, or can only the scientist in the universities? This is the governors duty, the agriculture dept. did its job, but the governors job is to ensure my prosperity(since the President legalized it completely), like say, Oregon, Kentucky, they have hemp farmers, Tennessee, they sale their stuff by the truckloads, even online. Florida people shouldnt have to ship in anything, now since its legal. And since people are struggling and the President says its ok, people should be able to grow and sell it as please, not just universities.

• Guy the CBD Guy on

Good Points Greg! I am also in Florida and hope to grow Hemp.Florida already approved Medical Marijuana and now with Trump legalizing Hemp and DEA cannot bust you federally we should be free to grow Hemp now in Florida!

3. Cactusjack on

I am growing cannabis in Oregon and I am shifting gears like a lot of other growers and start growing hemp. Cbd isolates are in high demand and now THats is legal it makes the most sense from a business point of view.

4. L Boone on

Im going to be growing a few acres this 2019. Hemp baby. looking to grow fiber, grains, or cbd.but wondering who is buying the farm grown products? Im looking for contracts now

5. Farmer Frank on

I am a 3 rd generation Fla Farmer and have been growing 1000 acres of vegetables ,I have machinery , land including Green Houses , and ready to start growing Hemp on a large scale of 40 or more acres , where can I get seeds , access to buyers , also willing to secure machinery to extract oil from the hemp . Appreciate any input Thank You

• Farmer Jon on

Hi Frank, I am a hemp farmer based out of Oregon. I also help other farmers sell their material or turn it into the more valuable distillate. I can help you with all of your questions, and you could do very well with the land and equipment resources you have. Send me an email to [email protected] and let’s start a conversation about hemp.

• michael Mallia on

Oregon Hemp farmer, I have residences both in New York and Florida. As a long time entrepreneur/businessman I am very interested in getting into Hemp farming, along with my son. Any insights and/or help you can provide would be much appreciated.

What is the best way for my son to learn about Hemp farming, he is very interested in becoming a hemp farmer. myself and family have always been in Manufacturing, so we don’t have experience in the farming industry.

thanks Mike mallia

• Stu Gurley on

I know this thread was a long time ago but Im moving back to FL after selling my cannabis company in Portland, OR. I would like to get involved int he hemp industry in FL and can provide you with all the things you are looking for including state-of-the-art extraction equipment. If interested please contact me. I was born and raised in Sarasota, FL and would love to bring me knowledge of cannabis growing in climate controlled greenhouses to FL.

• Glenda Van Sickle on

We have over 100 acres of pasture in Florida and would love to grow profitable hemp instead. We’re not farmers but have been leasing the land.

• Darrick Sanders on

You may want to look into the University of Florida IFAS Program. They are holding meetings this year that will be offering info on Pilot Programs and Program Partners. They are having a meeting on August 10th in Citra. $10 to reserve a seat.

6. Kyle M Straughn on

We are large scale farmers in NCFL we have a meeting today on this topic. I am interested in my options and any selling seeds and buying product in the end.
    We have 100Ac of High Tunnels that may be an asset.
    Feel free to contact. With info. @ [email protected]