A company founded by Canadian investors is planning to launch a hemp-product development and manufacturing center in Kentucky.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The 50,000-square-foot facility would be built on 10 acres of the Bourbon County Business Park, with a 10-acre option to expand.
- AgTech has a conditionally approved grower’s license from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program.
- The company plans to work with local growers on large-scale hemp production.
- AgTech would extract CBD from the Kentucky-grown hemp. The company’s initial plan is to produce a CBD-infused energy drink.
- The firm eventually wants to produce CBD-infused pet and equine food, in partnership with the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment.
- In recent years, dozens of companies have invested in Kentucky’s hemp industry, which began a pilot program in 2013.