Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a hemp law that adds the nation’s second-largest state to the list of more than 42 others with commercial hemp farming.

However, the law puts limits on the kinds of hemp that can be manufactured – smokable flower is not allowed – and requires retailers of hemp-derived CBD products to register with the state.

The Texas law takes effect immediately but requires would-be hemp farmers to wait until 2020 to start growing the plant.

The delay is necessary because prospective farmers must wait for state authorities to settle regulations such as THC testing rules.

Other highlights of the new Texas law:

• Farmer application fees are capped at $100, with an additional $100 licensing fee per location.
  • THC testing fees are capped at $300.
  • Hemp products containing “more than trace amounts of cannabinoids” must carry labels stating that the products are hemp and not marijuana.
  • The state does not ban the sale or possession of smokable hemp, just its manufacture.

Lisa Pittman, a Denver cannabis attorney from Texas who closely follows the state’s dealings with hemp, said the law signifies tremendous change in her home state.

“Texas is going to be a leader” in national hemp production, she said.

“We are an agricultural state already, and farmers have been working on this for a very long time.”

20 comments on “Texas gov signs hemp law banning smokable flower and requiring CBD sellers to register
  1. George on

“Texas is going to be a leader” in national hemp production”.

Yeah, good luck with that!
    Good to know where to sell smokeable Hemp. California thanks you.

2. Romana on

So, as a small veteran family farm, I’ll grow my smokeable hemp, send it out if state to be “processed” and have it sent back to sell. Stupid Texas.. We can still grow and possess it, just not process it .

3. Tyson Rich on

Smokable hemp flowers are already for sale and have been at many smoke and cbd shops threw out TX smh lol, and the up most issue is no one who works for the states knows what they are talking about marijuana and hemp are the same thing both the (same exact plant) Just diff levels of thc. So basically they are marking all weed legal until otherwise tested, Wilco and Travis county have had to throw out close to 1000 cases already Misdemeanors and felonies cases cus they don’t have testing equipment to tell the diff amounts of THC in marijuana/hemp. Hemp/marijuana has to be .3 %thc or less to be legal but Texas has no way of testing this as of now. So Texas can’t prosecute cases if they can’t test the levels of thc.

• Isaac on

Tyson, you incorrect, Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant, they are genetically different. You would not say a house cat and a tiger are the same, although they are cats, they are vastly different.

4. Ivan Maldonado on

So we can’t grow out own personal Hemp flowers, but it’s okay for outside sources to sell them to us??????!!!!
    Don’t they see the damage this is causing us Texans?!

Our entire pantry is being raided by outside states that Can grow Hemp and have the means to monopolize where we purchase our medicine.

We need to be able to open shop and produce LOCALLY, ALL our Money is going to Other State Taxes and foreign parties!

We need to have the ability to shut these guys out!!

5. Tim on

I have epilepsy and I used to smoke marijuana in college. I took NO MEDS and had NO SEIZURES at all for 5 years.
    Ten years ago I was arrested for possession of less than two grams so I gave up marijuana and two weeks later I started having seizures. I’ve been on expensive anti-seizure meds since(over $2,000/month) and since I could never pay that much Texas pays for them.
    If I was allowed to use medical marijuana in Texas I’d be growing and using a plant from God(marijuana). Texas would spend a lot less every month and I’d have much better health.
    REDICULOUS!

6. Bud on

The lawmakers in Texas are not very intelligent. Smokable hemp flower works wonders but I have to purchase it out of state. Great way to boost the economy elsewhere Texas lmao!

7. alan king on

Industrial hemp plants are probably going to be put off but what about him plants that are grown in the home as decorations or sold at farmers markets and flea markets Hemp is a pretty plant

8. J on

So I just heard from a vape shop employee that they won’t be able to sell hemp sticks after the first? I assume of September? Is there any truth to this?